Is this thing still on?

by Shae on March 31, 2016

Hi. Remember me? It’s been about a year, I guess. And what a year!

I’m not even sure how to start.

Everything is pretty much the same, but there have been a few more official diagnoses added to the fold. Childhood mental illness, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, processing disorders, and another kiddo on the spectrum. This has not changed the kids in any way, they are who they are, who they have always been. But it has helped me understand them, and help with the tricky bits. It’s also changed the way we home educate. A couple of hours of actual “school-at-home” on most weekdays happens now. Sure, it’s Waldorf/Charlotte Mason inspired. But it is happening. Along with a tutor and a pretty set schedule for the week.

I will admit that it’s not how I imagined it, and the transition has not necessarily been smooth. Yet here we are!

I was not sure how to continue with this blog. Can I still write about all of our life without crossing the line into oversharing?

I’ve decided that I’m going to try. I am not ashamed or embarrassed about who my children are. Their diagnoses and difficulties are as real and a part of them as if they were diabetic, and they deserve as much understanding and inclusion as anyone. Who they are is not a part of my identity, but being their Mother is. To ignore or skip over that part of our family is to keep reenforcing that we don’t speak of such things. AND WE SHOULD.

That said I’m going to be vague on specifics and the nitty gritty. I can tell you about what, but not always about who and why.

Our lives, and therefore the blog, are basically the same. A large dose of hippy-la-la parenting and home education, some backyard farming and real food, as well as my usual take on life.

I’d love it if you’d hang around…

Ingi March 31, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Oh Shae – I hear ya! On the diagnosis thing, on how important it is to keep talking about, on the privacy and oversharing thing, on changing up education. I hear ya! And I’ll keep hanging around :)

Dorothy March 31, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Welcome back! I love all the nitty gritty because I like to see how other people cope with challenges, but I can see how one would not want one’s children’s lives plastered all over the internet. I haven’t written much at all about Ben’s ASD, but then I’ve never really written much about my kids. But I do write a lot about my own mental health, because I want others to see that they’re not alone. But then, that’s MY life and MY decision. Kids are a different kettle of fish.

Deb @ Blossom Bomb March 31, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Love that you’re writing again. :)

Sazz April 1, 2016 at 12:43 am

Yes I am so hearing you! Where’s the line with sharing? Blogging is a weird medium, I think. But I’m still here reading you. And your points on refusing to fall for the shame/secrecy side of mental health and neurodiverse etc is great. I’m slowly getting there myself.

bek April 1, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Hi again! Thought you might be busy being busy :) More diagnoses hey, fun times for everyone (I’m waiting on one, probably get it next year or the year after). But yay for figuring out stuff that works :)

Rah April 2, 2016 at 6:04 pm

I’m here! Glad to have you back, you magnificent thing, you xxoo

Bianca April 3, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Im not a blogger or even on most social media so I hope you don’t mind my comment.
I missed your posts
Similarities and differences
I got so much from them, confidence in my parenting choices.
We might not home school but I got so many ideas to enuance their learning
we do follow our children’s leads so I appreciated your posts
We also got a very late diagnosis (8 yr old) in the last year and my other children have speech issues
I don’t share diagnosis as it’s not mine to share its all so new for us
Looking forward to your new posts

kelley @magnetoboldtoo April 7, 2016 at 12:42 pm

HUZZAH! Miss your face. x

Jess64 April 9, 2016 at 10:05 am

So nice to hear from you. I have always enjoyed your thoughts on life, you make me think deeply and consider my own place in the world.

Selby April 16, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Lovely to see you posting again- I’ve missed your voice & sharing your adventures here:)