Our Creative Table

by Shae on November 19, 2012

I really enjoy the Tinkerlab blog and I love seeing the photos on Instagram with the #creativetable hastag the Rachelle started.

I’ve been joining in.

I have been setting up “stations” since reading the Playful Learning book. I was inspired to have materials on hand that were easy to access and displayed beautifully. I think that kids love to dive in when things are inviting.

I use a couple of ikea wooden caddies as well as a letter holder from on office supplies store as my main pieces and I swap and change the contents to keep it interesting. Pencils, textas, stickers, stamps, crayons, pastels, glue, scissors, sticky tape, rulers, masks, cards, post-it notes. The possibilities are endless.

Does it get messy? Yes. Creating is often messy work and a clean up and replenish that station multiple times a day. Sometimes MULTIPLE multiple times. But I think even if I pack it up 20 times it maybe takes no more than 10 minutes out of my whole day to keep everything from ending up in chaos. Not much in theĀ schemeĀ of things.

I must confess to keeping things out of there that require lots of help and supervision and we save those for times when I can actively be involved.

The rest of the times the kids help themselves. Sometimes for minutes, sometimes for hours. Always for fun.

And it’s my pleasure to create and keep a space that sparks their creativity and makes them so happy.

I’m joining in with Owlet for unschool Monday

Dorothy @ Singular Insanity November 19, 2012 at 11:44 am

Love those wooden caddies. I have given our large coffee table over to the kids’ creative activities. Surprisingly, they use it everyday. I do love how you change the contents of your “station”, it’s something I need to do, as right now, it gets hard to find things….

Mother Down Under November 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I am looking forward to when Toddler C gets a bit older and we can do craft together.
We already do a fair bit of basic craft but I would love to have a table or an area filled with supplies that he can help himself to.
Your table looks great!

Selene November 19, 2012 at 1:08 pm

A well-timed reminder to refresh some of Lolly’s spaces! Those Ikea caddies are a great idea.

Rachael November 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm

My biggest struggle is how to deal with the sheer volume of finished craft. Despite all the suggestions I’ve found, the reality is most gets chucked I suppose

Shae November 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Ours mostly gets chucked. I’ve started using the Artkive app and photographing some and keeping a precious few. Prob 97% gets chucked though

Misa November 19, 2012 at 6:49 pm

It looks beautiful and so inviting.

Issa Waters November 20, 2012 at 6:56 am

Wow. I feel more creative looking at that table… lol, doing it’s job, I guess, huh? I really like what you said about kids diving in when the space looks inviting. I know I feel that way about my own spaces. It’s so much easier for me to write when my whole space is tidy and beautiful. Of course children will feel the same way.