Smelling clean {sponsored}

by Shae on November 8, 2012

One of the things I miss the most about living in Queensland is line dried washing the whole year round. Truth. One of my true joys in life is bringing in washing after it has been dried outside in the sun. There is a certain smell of outside that comes in on the washing that I adore and as a bonus the sun helps to bleach the stains out of my clothes.

It makes me sad that “clean” seems to now be synonymous with “weird artificial scent”.

When I’m standing behind someone in a line and can smell their clothes it doesn’t remind me of night breezes, lavender fields or the ocean. It just smells like the overpowering washing powder aisle at the supermarket.

And for some people the normalcy of making everything so scented nowdays can be an issue for their health.

*    3-5% of the population (approx. 1million+ Australians) react to fragrance both synthetic and natural essential oils.

*    Fragrance accounts for approximately 48% of allergic reactions
*    More than 3000 fragrances are currently in commercial use, 100 of these are known contact allergens
*    Only 26 of the 3000 chemicals currently in use are under mandatory reporting guidelines due to their highly allergenic nature

Did you know that ecostore makes a Fragrance Free laundry powder?

Like the use of chemicals in products, the use of the term ‘Fragrance Free’ is unregulated in Australia. Ecostore Fragrance Free products contain no masking agents to hide the scent of the base formulation.

Now when I bring my clothes in from outside they are clean and simply smell clean. Not scented or fragranced.

And it makes me happier than my younger self would have thought possible.

Disclosure-I was given some ecostore fragrance free laundry powder to try and am a paid brand ambassador for ecostore. I was, however, using, paying for and loving their products way before I even knew what a blog was. All opinions are my own.

Salz November 8, 2012 at 9:29 am

I bought their dish washing liquid the other week because I saw someone trial it on their blog and I’m impressed. My hubby likes (and I) that the washing has a nice smell to it and not just a water smell or a smell that says I haven’t really been washed well. will have to give it a try.

Ahi Rands November 8, 2012 at 11:55 am

Nice post! I remember that choice back yard :)

Laney @ Crash Test Mummy November 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I too find it really odd when people smell overpoweringly of laundry detergent! I love my ecostore laundry powder and am currently giving the liquid a spin. Haven’t tried the unscented one yet, but even the lemon one doesn’t smell overpowering. My clothes still smell like sunshine ;)

Disclosure: Like Shae, I’m also a paid ecostore ambassador who was happily using their products before becoming one :)

kelley @ magnetboldtoo November 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Boo used to go batshit crazy if I used anything but Radiant (and only half the amount at that). My mother uses really strong smelling detergent AND fabric softener and I get a headache as soon as I enter her house the scent is so strong.

Might have to give the eco store stuff a try! I loved their dishwasher tablets.

Michelle November 10, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I just started to use their dishwasher powder (bought it through a co-op) and LOVE it. It cleans everything and I love that the powder (the 2kg) does 102 washes (and probably more if I use less than what they say). Anyway I was impressed as powder doesn’t normally work for us and we were using tablets which were costing us a small fortune!

Kathy November 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Can I ask you, does it wash well in cold? I do 90% of my washes in cold water and if it is effective in cold washing, I will give it a go. Can you get it in supermarkets?

Shae November 16, 2012 at 10:43 am

I’ve only used it in hot. I’ll send you some of mine if you want to try it :)
Should be able to get it in safeway