Alcohol, it’s time we saw other people for a while

by Shae on July 11, 2012

Me, Kristy and Kate inside the Kleenex Mums photobooth at Digital Parents Conference this year. Clearly post 1000 wines.

Anyone who knows me in real life knows that I like a drink. Especially ones of the alcoholic variety. I’m more of a “10 beers on a Saturday” than a sensible “glass of wine with dinner” gal too. If you’ve ever been to a blogging event with me you’ve no doubt seen me hog karaoke, dance on a table, hug EVERYONE and maybe, if you’re there late enough, flash my boobs.

Before I had kids I spent most weekends on a drinking binge from Friday to Sunday. Sometimes even from Thursday to Tuesday if the public holidays and pay packets were in the bottle shop’s favour. Then I spent 8 years being pregnant and/or breastfeeding and I gave the booze a rest. Since Harper has weaned I have rekindled my love affair with all things alcohol. But now I’m just not feeling that love any more.

During my 3 term pregnancies I got reflux. Proper, acid in your mouth, can’t lie down, need the hardcore drugs reflux. It was unpleasant to say the very least. My family history pretty much guaranteed that I would have some issue like this, my Mum’s reflux has  been so bad over the years that she now has an “eroded oesophagus”.

After Harper was born I waited for the reflux to go away like it had after her sister’s births. And waited. And waited. No bingo.

While it has not been as severe as it was during pregnancy it certainly has been cramping my style. Certain foods and drinks set it off and I’m having to pass up yummy stuff. But anyone want to guess what is the worst thing?

Alcohol. Yep ‘fraid so.

A night on the booze now ends in me sleeping upright and normally puking if the wine was red-even if it’s only a few glasses rather than a few bottles. And there seems like such a simple solution.

Alcohol = reflux, reflux = FML,  solution = stop drinking alcohol.

So why does it make me feel anxious to say that I’m going to give it a rest while my gut heals?

I’m equally as fun and loud and silly when I’m sober. Ask anyone who knows me. I’ll even sing karaoke and dance sober. And as an added bonus my boobs (mostly) stay in my top and I don’t look as shiny and have one eye closed in photos. And you will all be spared my Saturday night instagram/twitter carry on.

It’s sounding like win.

But still it niggles. Can I do this? It seems like a ridiculous question. After all, bananas give me THE WORST reflux known to man so I just stopped eating them. No soul searching required. I read this and it makes me downright uncomfortable. Too many parallels.

I think of all of the upcoming events and how I won’t be drunk at them. I don’t like the niggling feeling in my gut that I will “need” a drink there.

Seems like all the more reason to take a holiday from booze.

So…….

Alcohol, it’s been fun, but we are officially on a break. Starting now. Until the new year (gosh I feel sick writing that. CHRISTMAS Y’ALL). I’m going to get my gut back in order and drinking you doesn’t serve that.

I promise to be just as hilarious and inappropriate sans booze. I may even be more so! And I look forward to everyone’s request to drive them home….

katesaysstuff July 11, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Well it’s a really long drive to take me home these days ;)

Good plan by the sounds though. Reflux truly does FYL. xox

Laney @ Crash Test Mummy July 11, 2012 at 10:41 pm

It will be hard, no doubt. I just about volunteered to join you, but I really enjoy my glass of wine with a nice dinner. You can do it though because you’re doing it for the best reason, your health. Reflux is nasty. I had it during pregnancy too.
Take care x

Dorothy @ Singular Insanity July 11, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Wishing you all the best. I know you are just the same without the booze, well, maybe just a tiny bit less outrageous and yes, the boobs do stay in the clothes.

I hope the rest from alcohols sorts your insides out. They are much more important for the long run.

Big hugs :-)

Mrs Woog July 11, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Good move. I love a drink as much as the next person but have cut back a big heap recently. My weakness? A wine every night when I made dinner. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday? Now booze free. ps it sucks xx

Rachael July 12, 2012 at 4:34 am

I’ve had one beer in 6 weeks and I’m
really not missing it. There’s that idea once in awhile that a drink would be nice but it passes…and I remind myself that I gave smoking which was way harder. My main issue around drink has been anxiety which I hate so much that I’ll do anything to avoid it! Good luck x

BabyMacBeth July 12, 2012 at 8:27 am

Dude, you can do this. I have given up for months at a time and once you get past that initial “Geez I’d love a drink” part of the night, it’s a breeze. Tonic water helped me- made me feel like I was still having a G&T and then once that passed I was fine.

You will be fine. ANYTHING has to be better than that Godforesaken reflux doesn’t it? Good luck!

Leah July 12, 2012 at 9:32 am

Sounds like a plan! I’m getting relfuxy again and it’s not from booze. I have somehow managed to tip the balance so many of my normal foods are giving me some grief. And I know what I have to give up and for me it is akin to booze for some, it’s the coffee. And for some reason when I get like this I start to want the foods that set it off, probably because it wrecks my appetite and high flavour stuff like indian, pastry stuff, chocolate etc. Anyway will have to pick your brain for gut healing ideas.

Stacey July 12, 2012 at 9:52 am

Most of my male relatives are either dipsomaniacs or alcoholics. I can take or leave alcohol. I’ve had a cider sitting in the fridge for 5 days and haven’t had the desire to drink it yet. Yeah the anxiety over giving something up is telling. *hugs* for you.

Ingi July 12, 2012 at 10:47 am

As I sit here nursing a bit of a red-wine hangover, and as a sufferer of dyspepsia, I’m thinking you are onto a good idea there. I did Dry July last year – it was tough. So best of luck – may your insides be on the improve!

Ben July 12, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Another designated driver on the road, hey? Lucky hubby.

An extra bonus of not drinking booze (well, one I have especially appreciated) is less frequent trips to the loos. From what I’ve seen, and from what my wife tells me, there is ALWAYS a wait at the ‘Ladies’! :)

Thanks very much for the ‘Year of Living Sober’ link, Shae. Now I’m looking forward to coming back here and getting some hints for our home veggie-garden we’re just starting too.

katepickle July 12, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I am in that photo??? Really???

You know I am totally on your side… regardless.

Claireyhewitt July 12, 2012 at 11:25 pm

You can do it easy.

I did this in November last year, much easier than I thought. I haven’t given up totally, but a glass a fortnight is about all I manage. Two sometimes depending on what we are doing.

Once you start to feel well, it is hard to make yourself feel unwell.

Stephanie July 21, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Dipsomaniacs (and gutted gut girls) unite for a dry July (and then some). I’m inspired. Thanks for this. 2 weeks in and I’m not as cranky as I thought I’d be (even with the still-moist husband)…but I have noticed a new addiction to parenthesis. Shit. Guess I still need some kind of vice.