Meet the new girls

by Shae on May 29, 2012

I have been itching to get some new chickens since we moved in. No backyard is happy without a flock in my opinion. Luke had a 3 day weekend and I got a little bonus in the bank (thank-you carbon tax bribe money) so the time was right!.

Remember the area we had set aside for chooks?

Well now it looks like this!

We spent only $30 on some new chicken wire and tall garden stakes. The rest is made out of recycled lattice and so many cable ties. It has been christened “the house that cable ties built”

We also bought 2 hay bales and covered the rock underneath. Using this deep litter method the chooks have plenty to scratch around in and we can empty out the entire run every few months and start again. They also get time to free range it in the garden every day.

Want to meet the girls?

Left to right-Hazel, Tickle, Mavis and Pearl

The black chook and the 3 gingery brown ones are Rhode island red cross breeds and the white one is a leghorn cross breed. I get my chickens from a local young woman named Madelaine- who is well known in my neck of the woods for her lovely eggs and chickens.

Thus far Hazel is the friendliest and very happy for a cuddle while Pearl is super fast and not into people at all. No pecking order is up and running as yet but I’m guessing Mavis will be top chook.

I love going out in the morning to let them out and hearing their delightful little clucks as they start their day. Once we get some garden beds established they will have some work ahead of them turning the soil over and eating the weeds. And in about 6-10 weeks we will get eggs!

I do love a backyard with some chooks.

Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy May 29, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I love a backyard with chooks too :) Your chook pen is a great space, hooray for cable ties.

Fiona May 29, 2012 at 3:59 pm

A GREAT use of the carbon tax bribe. Well done :)

Jo @Countrylifeexperiment May 29, 2012 at 4:49 pm

We love our chooks, but they need a bit of a pep talk to get laying again at the moment.

Vanessa May 29, 2012 at 9:45 pm

How wonderful! And what a great pen! Well done you.

Emily May 30, 2012 at 7:37 am

You have inspired me! For two years we have been um and ahhing about a chicken run out of a great in built chicken shed we have at our rental. Cable ties! It’s so simple! Well done, it looks great what a happy home.

Tricia May 30, 2012 at 9:10 am

Cable ties are a brilliant idea :-)

and your girls are cute. I can’t imagine having a backyard without chooks. Our current hens stopped laying years ago – but I still wouldn’t live without them.

Enjoy.

Renee Farnsworth June 20, 2012 at 9:38 am

I love this, looking so fwd to setting up ours. Do u ever have any trouble with the dog and your chooks? Or get any predators at night without a roof? Also wondering if you knew anywhere that sells cheap chook houses like your pictured? Cheers renee

Shae June 20, 2012 at 10:28 pm

we’ve had to make it less appealing to the dog. She does love to bark at things! We lock the chook house at night and are probably to suburban for predators during the day. I got the chook house from eBay! Cheap, new and shipped. There are lots like it around :)

Cybele @ BlahBlah April 20, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Great chook house. I am going to have a look on ebay! Approximately how many eggs do you get from your lovely ladies?

Shae April 21, 2013 at 8:39 am

We have 6 chooks and get about 4 eggs a day but 2 of ours are renowned for not being a great laying breed.